Thursday, April 15, 2010

My 30th birthday. Oh, AND MY CAKE!!!

I had a GREAT 30th birthday! My celebration started on Friday with a night out on the town with some great friends. We went to dinner at a yummy pizzeria and then to a comedy club @ Trolley Square. The comedian: "I got braces when I was 29 because I didn't want to get made fun of as a kid....." Needless to say, he "had to quit substituting at the Junior High"! ha ha! Aww, good times!

The next day my family came down and surprised me with a jolly good BBQ @ my house. Wahoo! Good thing because then we had plenty of people to enjoy my A-MAZE-ING birthday cake with us!

More on my A-MAZE-ING cake later, it deserves it's own section of this post!

Then on Monday, my actual birthday, Justin and the kids took me out for an oh-so-delicious birthday dinner @ Texas Roadhouse. {A place that I didn't want them to know it was my birthday because I didn't want to sit on that saddle! haha! Ten times more embarrassing than just having them come and sing 'happy birthday' to you at your table!} So we zipped our lips about my birthday and had a fun time! Of course I ate way too much, as I always do when we go out, but seriously, how can I not eat like 400 of those warm rolls with that scrumptious buttery cinnamon butter??? Just tell me. :)

The best birthday cake EVER, coupled with delicious food {multiple times} and the company of great family and friends makes for the perfect 30th birthday! Thanks everyone for helping make my birthday special! :)

Okay, now about MY CAKE!

Here it is, the crowning jewel of my birthday!


Isn't it the cutest thing?! My friend Brooke made it. She's been taking a cake decorating class and is so very talented.


I decided for my 30th birthday that I wanted a two tiered cake. I'm not sure why exactly, it's just something that came to my mind when I was thinking about my upcoming, very important, highly anticipated 30th birthday, and I liked the idea.


I gave Justin the particulars: two tiered, white cake with butter cream frosting. He then was going to talk to Brooke and get the cake ordered and it would be a surprise for me. Well, he claims that when I started saying things like: "but I don't want it to look like a wedding cake", "I want spring-y colors but I don't want it to look like an Easter cake", "I don't want it too fancy, maybe just one big hot pink bow on top", he got all over-whelmed and was afraid he wouldn't deliver the perfect cake. I'm I picky or what? :) Bless his little heart.


So, he sent Brooke my way so I could pick out my perfect cake. And I must say, it turned out to be an absolutely perfect "Holly cake"!!! So perfect in fact, I didn't want to cut the pretty thing. :)


So here's to me and my thirty years!


And yes, it tasted just as good and smooth and moist and soft and yummy as it looked! Delicious!

6 comments:

Mom said...

Yes, that cake was so delish.....I don't even care for cake that much and I thought it was fabulous. Thanks Brooke!! I guess you survived your 30th birthday. If you thought your 30th b-day was hard, wait until your BABY is 30 years old!! Poor OLD Mom.

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Happy 30th birthday! Welcome to the club. That is such a Holly cake! Love it, perfect for the big 3-0!

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...

Love the cake! Love even more that you're 30!!!

Skye O. said...

Glad you had an amazing day. You deserve it! & yes...that cake is amazing.

Carolyn Hanson said...

Happy B-day, Holly!

LOVE the cake!

Melanie said...

Happy belated birthday! love the cake!