Sunday, October 19, 2008

Day 27: Halloween Fun!

The first year I had a Halloween party for my nieces and nephews was the year Justin and I got married. We lived in an apartment at the time and had all six (the six that were old enough at least) of my nieces and nephews come over for a little carmel apple eating, Halloween movie watching slumber party at our apartment. We had so much fun! Other then the neighbors (that we shared a wall with) getting mad at us for being too loud, it was a lot of fun and my nieces and nephews loved it so much we decided to make it a tradition. This year we had eleven kids, including my two, here for the party. -- except for this year it was not a sleepover, eleven kids are hard to handle sometimes and speaking from personal experience, DO NOT like to be quiet and go to bed when they are told! :)

Here's a run down of what we did.....

First, after everyone arrived we took pictures of all the kids in their cute, clever costumes. Avery the kitty cat.

And Quinney the dragon.

Then it was time to eat! Yummy yummy yummy!!! We had pizza, bread sticks, cat dip and chips and a ghoulish punch to drink.

On to the games! First the kids went on a treasure hunt with the starting piece of this treasure map. At each new location they found another missing piece to the map and ultimately, by following the map, were led to their treasure!

This was their treasure! These cute little picture frames that we then put together and made. Fun craft!

Our next activity, the CAKE WALK! Growing up we used to have a huge Halloween party with my Mom's side of the family and never a year went by that we didn't have the cake walk downstairs in my Aunt Lola's basement. I thought I'd carry on the tradition at ours!

This is harder than it looks! How many candy corns would you say were in this jar? Well, would you believe me if I told you 312 candy corns were in that jar? It's true, 312 candy corns! WOW, could of fooled me! (if I wasn't the counter!)

And lastly, the older kids got to go down into my dark basement one at a time and have their fortunes told by Hilda the Witch. She told them all sorts of insightful thinks like, the name of the person they would marry, how many kids they would have, what profession they would take and even if they were going to be rich and famous. All they had to do was spit into the cauldron so she could see their fortunes in the smoke. Smart witch! The five youngest kids got to go down together for a little story instead of fortunes, we figured they'd have no idea what a fortune was anyway. However, Quinney was not fooled by Hilda the Witch or her story! About half way through he started waving and saying "hi Grandma, hi Grandma"! Smart Quinney! :)

Here's to another year of great Halloween fun!!!

12 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

CCUUTTE!! I love to throw parties! This one look like a ball. At the last Halloween party I had, we dressed my bro-in-law up to be the fortune teller. It was super fun! Love all your pictures look like a purrr-fect party! :)

Trisha said...

My goodness!!! I knew you were a crafty gal but I had NO idea how organized you were! I am way impressed Holly. And I'm also a little jelouse that I am not in your family.

Katy said...

You are probably the coolest aunt ever. I wish I could have come to that party. It sounded awesome!!

Rosie Moncrief said...

I love Quinney's dragon costume!!! You are so creative!!

Carolyn Hanson said...

I'm seriously impressed, Holly. Can my kids come to your party next year? :)

Jared, Beth, Carter, Maylee and Bridger said...

You are the cutest aunt!! Wow, that sounds like it was so much fun! I love Quin's costume too!

Melissa said...

That looks soooo much fun. I loved every bit of it. Thanks again for the din last night. So glad I got to meet you and the wee ones.

byebyedays said...

I'm a big fan of Halloween! I host a big party every year, but we're going to be the guests of a few this year, and give ourselves a much needed break. I love the chandelier idea. I love the kids cute costumes... Where is yours?

Melanie said...

Love the costumes! My kids would sweat to death in those over here. I never realized how lame I am at celebrating Halloween until I read your blog. You rock!

Sarah said...

You are so cute and creative! Looks like fun! I'm going to have to copy you and try hosting a cousin party sometime...

jennywren said...

You guys are awesome! I think you should be my kids' honorary aunt cuz that looks like you had a blast. I'm so not that creative with Halloween--kind makes me jealous.

Penny said...

Holly, you're too creative! I'm going to have you plan the next preschool party. I'm impressed that you've made it so far with your picture a day posts. You are an inspiration :). Tell your mom thanks for the nice comment on the preschool blog. It is nice to know someone looks at it!