Sunday, May 4, 2008

~~~traditions~~~family~~~memories~~~

I want to dedicate this post to all the Mendon grown folks out there that live too far away and couldn't make it to this year's 146th annual Mendon May Day Celebration! :) I know if I lived away and wasn't able to attend the glorious Mendon celebration I'd be sad, so I've covered it for you! (you're welcome!) :) It was an extra special May Day this year because my oldest nephew Ben was in the Queen's Court, and also two of my nieces danced around the May Pole -- an all around family affair!

I'll start my coverage at the Friday night dance and floor show if you don't mind. It started with the introduction of the Queen's Court and then the traditional dance with your partner and then with your parents. (we all know how it goes, right?) After that, the Court changed their clothing and came back for a special 50's number that one of the boys in the Court (Micheal Peterson) choreographed, it was really fun to watch. Here is a picture of my nephew Ben and his partner Janessa.

The rest of the dance was so fun, we had a blast dancing around like nerds! Especially Avery, Quinn and my niece Taysia, they loved it.

The next morning was beautiful, perfect May Day weather! (click on pictures to make them larger, if you so desire)
2008 May Day Queen's Court

What a good lookin' couple!

Here the girls are dancing their little hearts out, on FIVE poles this year.

Almost done, phew! Remember when you got to this point and it was so exciting to finally drop your ribbon, grab hands and skip out to the lovely traditional May Day music? Of course as tradition would have it, Norma Meyers was playing the piano, what a surprise huh? I think they said it was Norma's 27th year of playing.....wow!

Skipping out!!!

We all headed into the church house for the May Day program. Crystal Gordon was the speaker this year and she did a really good job of sharing why Mendon and May Day is so special to her. And then of course the Queen's Court sang their song, it was a good program!

What would May Day (or any other Mendon Celebration for that matter) be without getting a burger at the good ol' Food Stand? Am I right? :) So of course that was the next activity on our agenda! YUM-O! After lunch Avery and Quinn played the kid games they had going on and got LOTS of candy for prizes!

~~ring toss~~

~~knock the bottles down~~

~~jump in the bouncy house~~

~~potato sack races~~

Egg toss, tug-o-war, three legged races, fishing pond, and face painting were also part of the kids activities. So fun, and it was all FREE, even better! Quinn was lovin' this sucker...could he possibly drool anymore? :) Good thing my Mom knows a little somethin' somethin' about getting stains out, thanks Mom!


Finally we ended our day with my niece Taysia's birthday party. Isn't she cute, she turned FIVE years old! And, look how cute her cake is that my sister Carrie made, it's a Candyland cake! So fun and VERY delicious too! Happy Birthday Toot-a-Louie!!!

I hope this doesn't make any of you too home sick! :( Sorry if it does but now you know how this year's 146th annual Mendon May Day Celebration went down. :) Hope you enjoyed the report!!!

7 comments:

Jami & Boys said...

can i just say that i so appreciate the report and honestly, it did make me homesick! so many great memories came back as i read through your post. but, i also remembered the year that i lost my pretty white sunday shoe as i was dancing around the pole -- how embarrassing! thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Skye O. said...

thanks holly. Those girls were lucky that it didn't snow on them. It seemed like that always happened. That makes me feel old seeing those little girls dance around the pole. Time flies. I love Mendon. I keep telling matt we're moving back, and he says "NO!" Only people from Mendon know how great it really is!!

p.s. i showed my mom, sister-in-laws, your 80's night. they were dying! You gusy are so fun.

Tammy said...

Super good run down of the May Day festivities!!! It was a great day and what better way to end a day than with cake and Costa Vida!!

Shanda said...

Holly thank you so much for a walk down memory lane. What a special post. Even though we moved to Logan in highschool I still feel like Mendon is my home. I loved May Day! (not to mention getting a new matching dress every year). I hope someday my girls can dance the may pole! Thanks again for the great post!

Carolyn Hanson said...

Thanks, Holly! What a great post! I have a TON of memories of dancing around the may pole. I definitely agree that there's something special about Mendon and only Mendonites know what it is!

PS. Loved the 80's post! SO FUNNY!

Kade and Katie said...

you seriously kill me! thanks for updating me on the may day that i missed! i'm so ashamed of myself. i have the funniest picture of us one may day...i need to try to round that up. it was me, you, skye, bessie, shanda and rebekah olsen...oh the memories! it was SOOO great to see you the other night! i wish we could have chatted longer. your blog is awesome. and the 80's night is by far my favorite entry ever! you girls are too fun! i'll be working on "my aunt sally" for our next may day reunion!! we could show those little girls us oldies still have the may day moves!

The Mathews Family said...

This is just too awesome! I'm so glad that you did this! Sooooo many great memories- it was like a time warp! There's no way that Norma Meyers is still playing the piano and FIVE maypoles? I think there were three when we did it Holly, right? That was 17 years ago.... I just got a little nauseous.

I think I can still do most of the dances, and I only did it ONE year! The funnest was being in the Queen's court. Why is it that we felt so special? Dunno, but we did.