Monday, July 14, 2008

Camp Clark Chew*

We went camping at the Cinnamon Creek campground by Porcupine Dam this past weekend with my family. We got up there on Thursday evening just in time to eat fire roasted hot dogs for dinner, set up our tent before dark, roast marshmellows and then sit around the camp fire and sing. Friday morning we went on a lovely hike up to an old run down mine. It was only suppose to be 1.5 miles but it felt like at least 6 miles especially when most of the time your hauling a 22 lb. or 30 lb. packback named Quinney and Avery! :)


Avery in her fabulous necklace that Grandpa made for her out of long dandelion stems. How cute! :)



There were so many beautiful wildflowers along the trail, I LOVE flowers!



The old run down house where the miners use to live.....

In front of the mine.....

We didn't get to go very far into the mine because all the flashlights we took up with us were running out of batteries and weren't even bright enough to see 2 ft. in front of you, NICE! Oh well. When we got back to camp we headed to the river for a cool down. Avery and Taysia got soaked!

Quinn splashing his own face with the water.....

.....he thought it was great!!!

He also thought it was great when Daddy tried to take a drink of his water and he wouldn't share!

Here the two scroungers are sitting under the dutch ovens waiting for any little piece of food or splash of grease to drop so they could slurp it up!

That evening we had a delicious dinner, taco salad, fruit, and cheesy dutch oven vegtables, then smores for dessert. And of course we sat around the fire again and sang all of our traditional campfire singin' songs! This was the highlight though, a saranade from Bo and Grandpa before dinner! Whenever my Dad starts singing, Bo thinks he has to join in. My Mom said that this is Bo's only talent.....other than peeing on the floor! ha ha!:)

The next morning we ate Mountain Man Breakfast made in the dutch ovens. It has sausage, bacon, hashbrowns, eggs, green onions and cheese, Yum-O!!! I LOVE dutch oven food! I know I'm a total nerd but here are two pictues of it. You know someone REALLY loves food when they take pictues of it on a regular basis.....that would be me!!! The first one is before the cheese is spread on top. Doesn't it look good?


After breakfast the kids had fun painting their rocks they had found and doing the bubble paint that Leisa and Julie brought.


Then we packed up our stuff and headed for my parents house for a refreshing dip in the pool.....

Avery swimming all by herself! I think she's ready for swim lessons!


This is me back in my polygamy days.....rainbow bangs and all! he he!

Wow, what a great weekend!!!

*The story behind camp "clark chew" goes like this, when we were little we used to laugh at the way my Dad would clear his throat and spit. When he clears his throat it sounds like he's saying "clark", and then when he spits, it sounds like he's saying "chew". So in all of our brainstorming to come up with a great name there you have it, that's where we got the name for our annual family camp out, Camp Clark Chew! It's nerdy I know, but that's kind of how we are!!! :) Well, I guess it's our unofficial name, my Dad isn't too keen on the idea yet! :)

10 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

What a fun, awesome family you have!! I love over night camping trips! (probably beacause that all I can take till' I need a shower) That looks like a blast! Your family looks like they know how to have lots of fun! P.S. I love the food pictures (I'm a foodie) keep em' coming!

Crystal Taylor said...

Looks like fun!! You guys have definitely had a busy couple of weeks. We love camping too!! Especially the yummy food in the dutch oven. I'll have to get your mountain man breakfast recipe. Looks good!

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...

Rainbow bangs!!!!!!!!!! Now that is a great look on you!!! Its like pretty pictures of Holly day today. Lovin it!

Rosie Moncrief said...

pretty pretty hair Holly!! love it so much!

Anonymous said...

We sure had a great time with everyone camping, hiking, and getting wet. We had good food, good company and a fabulous time was had by all. Wish you could come to Coburn Cousin Camp this weekend. I loved all of the pictures you posted, you take good pictures!! We love you!

Sarah said...

That looks way fun! I am especially intrigued by the rock painting! You guys always come up with so many creative family outings!

Kourt said...

You are so good about taking pictures. Half the time we forget the camera, and when we take it we usually forget to take pictures. Our poor kids. Anyway, I love reading your posts and I ALWAYS read in Holly voice. :)

JaCee said...

how fun hol, i love family get togethers...we're actually going to cinnamon creek for the Carter (cole's mom'm side) reunion next fri. looks fun!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were in my backyard (Cinnamon Creek) Ok, actually front yard and you didn't stop and say hi!!!

Skye O. said...

Love the hair. You are just as I remember...so fun! I miss camping and to see those beautiful mountains...i miss those. fun to see your family.